Saturday, March 31, 2012

Why the P.I.A. project matters to us

The Pacific Islander Access project is a "micro-nonprofit" corporation that was founded, and is run today, on a 100 percent volunteer basis.  Why do we believe this issue -- ending Pacific Islander exclusion from academic programs for underrepresented minorities -- is important enough for us to volunteer our time and energy?

Here is the answer from each of our board members:
  • Kawika: "Why does this issue matter to me? I guess it started with a personal experience. As a college student, I learned about the exclusion of Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders firsthand..." Read more
  • Karin: "My main project as an intern was to update a national study regarding Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islander access to underrepresented minority scholarships and fellowships...In calculating the final figures, I saw how Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders are excluded from applying for millions of dollars in financial aid..." Read more
  • Lorinda: "Perhaps it is my legal background, but this inequity offends me and I want to change it..." Read more
  • Bryce: "Do Pacific Islanders count?  This had been a lingering question that returned to my mind every year, just around the time to reapply for college financial aid..." Read more

No comments: